Treatment of grade III furcation lesion by tunneling in a smoker patient: Clinical Case Report
ResumoThe aim of this study is to describe a case report of lower molar treatment with grade III furcation by the tunneling technique in a heavy smoker patient. Case presentation: In the present study, a 40-year- -old man, a heavy smoker (> 20 cigarettes / day) presented a grade III furcation injury on dental element 46 after a clinical and radiographic examination. After non-surgical periodontal therapy, the patient was treated with the execution of the tunneling of the furcation of the tooth 46, which was effective in the control of the disease and in the maintenance of the dental element after 12 months of follow up. Final considerations: The tunneling technique was effective in the control of periodontal disease in a heavy smoking patient, with a good standard of hygiene and motivation, and good clinical results were maintained after 12 months of follow-up.
and chemically modified tetracycline-3 (CMT-3) modulate
cytokine secretion by lipopolysaccharide-stimulated whole
blood. Inflammation. 2009 Apr;32(2):130-7.
2. Siddiqui ZR, Jhingran R, Bains VK, Srivastava R, Madan R, Rizvi
I. Comparative evaluation of platelet-rich fibrin versus beta-
-tri-calcium phosphate in the treatment of Grade II mandibular
furcation defects using cone-beam computed tomography.
Eur J Dent. 2016 Oct-Dec;10(4):496-506.
3. Nibali L, Zavattini A, Nagata K, Di Iorio A, Lin GH, Needleman
I, Donos N. Tooth loss in molars with and without furcation
involvement - a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Periodontol.
4. Naujokat H, Kunzendorf B, Wiltfang J. Dental implants and
diabetes mellitus-a systematic review. Int J Implant Dent. 2016
5. Svärdström G, Wennström JL. Periodontal treatment decisions
for molars: an analysis of influencing factors and long-
-term outcome. J Periodontol. 2000 Apr;71(4):579-85.
6. Dannewitz B, Krieger JK, Hüsing J, Eickholz P. Loss of molars
in periodontally treated patients: a retrospective analysis five
years or more after active periodontal treatment. J Clin Periodontol.
7. Feres M, Araujo MW, Figueiredo LC, Oppermann RV. Clinical
evaluation of tunneled molars: a retrospective study. J Int Acad
Periodontol. 2006 Jul;8(3):96-103.
8. Zafiropoulos GG, Hoffmann O, Kasaj A, Willershausen B, Deli
G, Tatakis DN. Mandibular molar root resection versus implant
therapy: a retrospective nonrandomized study. J Oral Implantol.
9. Schwendicke F, Graetz C, Stolpe M, Dörfer CE. Retaining or
replacing molars with furcation involvement: a cost-effectiveness
comparison of different strategies. J Clin Periodontol.
10. Moraschini V, Barboza Ed. Success of dental implants in
smokers and non-smokers: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016 Feb;45(2):205-15.
11. Patel RA, Wilson RF, Palmer RM. The effect of smoking on
periodontal bone regeneration: a systematic review and meta-
-analysis. J Periodontol. 2012 Feb;83(2):143-55.
12. Parashis AO, Anagnou-Vareltzides A, Demetriou N. Calculus
removal from multirooted teeth with and without surgical
access. II. Comparison between external and furcation surfaces
and effect of furcation entrance width. J Clin Periodontol. 1993
13. Avila-Ortiz G, De Buitrago JG, Reddy MS. Periodontal regeneration
- furcation defects: a systematic review from the AAP
Regeneration Workshop. J Periodontol. 2015 Feb;86(2 Suppl):
14. Pontoriero R, Lindhe J. Guided tissue regeneration in the
treatment of degree III furcation defects in maxillary molars. J
Clin Periodontol. 1995 Oct;22(10):810-2.
15. Hellden LB, Elliot A, Steffensen B, Steffensen JE. The prognosis
of tunnel preparations in treatment of class III furcations. A
follow-up study. J Periodontol. 1989 Apr;60(4):182-7.
16. Sonika Shakya, Shaili Pradhan. Tunneling: A treatment modality
for furcation involved teeth –A case report. Journal of
Nepal Dental Association - JNDA | Vol 14, No 2, Aug-Dec 2014.
Declaro que o trabalho de minha autoria foi submetido apenas para este periódico e por isto, não sendo simultaneamente avaliado para publicação em outra revista. Nós autores, acima citados, assumimos a responsabilidade pelo conteúdo do trabalho submetido e confirmar que o trabalho apresentado, incluindo imagens, é original. Concordamos em conceder os direitos autorais ao periódico Scientific Investigation in Dentistry.